A study on the prevalence of depression and the severity of depression in patients of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in a semi-urban Indian population

Submitted: December 15, 2017
Accepted: March 4, 2018
Published: March 19, 2018
Abstract Views: 1426
PDF: 707
Publisher's note
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.

Authors

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is one of the few respiratory diseases which is associated with a number of comorbidities. Psychiatric disease like depression is a very important comorbidity of COPD because it decreases the feeling of wellbeing in the patient and also interferes with the compliance with medication thereby increasing the risk of hospitalization in the COPD patient. A cross-sectional study was done for two years in the department of pulmonary medicine at Era’s Lucknow medical college and hospital, Lucknow. A total of 150 patients were enrolled for the study after a clinico-radiological screening for the diagnosis confirmed on spirometry. After the confirmation of the diagnosis of COPD in these patients, they were screened for depression using the PHQ-9 scale in our department of pulmonary medicine. The confirmation of the diagnosis of depression was done according to the ICD-10 guidelines for depression and the severity of depression was graded using HAM-D scale in the department of psychiatry at our institute. The most common age group enrolled in the study was 51-60 years of age (40.67%). One hundred and fifteen patients (76.7%) of the enrolled patients were smokers while the remaining 35 patients (23.3%) were non-smokers. Depression was found to be present in 46 out of the total 150 patients in the study. Thus, the prevalence of depression in our study was 30.67%. Depression was seen in COPD groups B,C and D. Out of the 46 patients of COPD with depression,18 had mild depression (39.13%), 26 had moderate depression (56.52%) and 2 had severe depression (4.35%). Hence, depression of all grades (i.e., mild, moderate and severe depression) is seen in COPD groups B, C and D.

Dimensions

Altmetric

PlumX Metrics

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Citations

Sakshi Batra, Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Department of Pulmonary Medicine

Resident,

Department of Pulmonary medicine

Rajendra Prasad, Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Department of Pulmonary Medicine

Professor,

Department of Pulmonary medicine

Anand Verma, Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Department of Pulmonary Medicine

SMO,

Department of Pulmonary medicine

Abdul Q. Jilani, Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Department of Psychiatry

Assistant Professor,

Department of Psychiatry

Surya Kant, King George's Medical University, Department of Respiratory Medicine

Professor,

Department of Respiratory medicine

How to Cite

Agarwal, Abhishekl, Sakshi Batra, Rajendra Prasad, Anand Verma, Abdul Q. Jilani, and Surya Kant. 2018. “A Study on the Prevalence of Depression and the Severity of Depression in Patients of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in a Semi-Urban Indian Population”. Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease 88 (1). https://doi.org/10.4081/monaldi.2018.902.