Characteristics of COVID-19 at a non-COVID tertiary pulmonary care centre in Delhi, India

  • Nitin Goel Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India. https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5155-8985
  • Sonam Spalgais Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India.
  • Parul Mrigpuri Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India.
  • Madhu Khanna Virology Unit, Department of Microbiology, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India.
  • Balakrishnan Menon Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India.
  • Raj Kumar | rajkumarvpci@gmail.com Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India.

Abstract

The pandemic of COVID-19 has emerged as a serious health crisis globally and India too has been extensively affected with 604,641 active cases reported, till date. The present study focuses on the demographic, clinical and laboratory profile of such patients from a tertiary level non-COVID respiratory care hospital. This is a retrospective observational study. Seventy-seven sick patients fulfilling COVID suspect criteria were admitted to the isolation area. Their RT-PCR test was done from the designated laboratory and 35 of them  were confirmed to be COVID-19 patients. The detailed demographic, clinical and laboratory profile of these COVID-19 patients was studied. The mean age was 46±17 years with male predominance (57%). Majority  of the cases (83%) were symptomatic. The most common symptom was cough (66%) followed by breathlessness and fever. Nineteen (54.3%) patients had one or the other co-morbidity and 16 (45.7%) had chronic lung diseases as one of the comorbidities. Nearly half of the patients (51%) required supplementary oxygen on presentation. Two patients were put on invasive mechanical ventilation while 4 patients required non-invasive ventilation before being shifted to the COVID hospital. Hence, it can be concluded that COVID-19 in patients of chronic respiratory diseases  manifests with higher prevalence of symptoms and also higher severity of disease. Further, the  symptomatology of COVID-19 closely mimics the acute exacerbation of chronic lung diseases, so cautious screening and testing should be done, especially at the pulmonary department.

Dimensions

Altmetric

PlumX Metrics

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2020-11-09
Info
Issue
Section
COVID-19 - Collection of articles on the Coronavirus outbreak
Keywords:
COVID-19, lung diseases, comorbidity, pandemic, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
Statistics
  • Abstract views: 142

  • PDF: 134
How to Cite
Goel, N., Spalgais, S., Mrigpuri, P., Khanna, M., Menon, B., & Kumar, R. (2020). Characteristics of COVID-19 at a non-COVID tertiary pulmonary care centre in Delhi, India. Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease, 90(4). https://doi.org/10.4081/monaldi.2020.1568